Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Teaching is Funny Stuff: Humor in the Classroom

We know having fun in the classroom is beneficial but we have not always been able to eloquently state why. Humor is good for the brain. This doesn’t come as a huge surprise because we are old hat with the physical benefits of endorphins but how it really works in education is coming to the forefront. David Sousa discusses the physical reaction to humor. In education we strive for retention and real learning. This goal is so valuable that we try many different methods to get there. Sousa explains that remembering and retaining facts is so important. One key to remembering in detail is emotion spikes. These emotional spikes in the brain cause direct links to the memories, the content, learned. These spikes can either be positive or negative. These spikes, if harnessed, would create a solid memory. With retention being our main goal, Sousa has suggested that these emotional spikes can be caused by humor in the classroom.
Using humor in the classroom is very fun but some teachers may find this to be a struggle.

There are a few things we need to keep in mind:

· One is to keep it down about the sarcasm – really. Students often cannot tell when a teacher is joking when they used sarcasm and can be offended.


· The teachers actually doesn’t need to funny - only the material does. Even silly jokes which even cause a groan do prove to keep student’s attention.


· Self deprecating humor is best for high school and junior high students. One reason is that most adolescents feel they are the only ones who ever do anything dumb and telling them about the time when you fell down the stairs in front of somebody you were trying to impress can really make them engage with you.


My favorite use of humor in my classroom is definitely self deprecating. My students started to feel a lot more comfortable and engaged in class when I started to do silly things in class. I would tell them stories about walking into walls or doing funny things accidentally. This approach to my students goes hand in hand with my Funny Box. My Funny Box is a simple black index card box in which I keep track of funny/silly things my students and I do during the year – Freudian slips or silly comments mostly. The last day of school I read my comments to the students. They loved them and then had their opportunity to write their won. Reading these comments was fun but also was awesome to hear them say things like “One day we were doing this lesson about verbs and Mrs. Drellack was jumping around demonstrating and fell over in the commons.” Reading the ones which aligned with the class content were most fun. Also, I tried to implement crazy activities and movements with the main concepts in the classroom. On assessments I would ask them about the activities and students would often link the memories to the concept pretty easily.

A Funny Box is something all teachers should have to record these great memories when teaching!

7 comments:

  1. In kindergarten- I have to be very silly. Using silly voices, falling over, making faces, and getting students to be a little silly once in awhile with me gets them involved. This is a good strategy to reengage or redirect students when they are off task. We all know students can take advantage of these times and become "overly engaged" as well. A teacher should be able to use humor/silliness and redirect her class back to the task easily. Usually, if I say, "OK, that was fun...Whew" I will wipe my forehead or dust off my pants and settle in-the kids will usually model along with me sit down and control is regained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of more humor in the classroom. I, too, have had to be careful with the sarcasm I use. Students don't always know when I am kidding. If I am using sarcasm I try to combine it with some physical motion that is humorous so students "get it". This does make the class a little more light-hearted and could mean the difference between the student attending your class or skipping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that using humor in the classroom is the way to go. I always try to make my class interesting and will do silly things to get the kids attention or help them to remember things. For instance, when it comes to remembering the notes on the staff, I have the students come up with their own fun and silly mnemonic device. I tell them that as long as the saying makes sense, and they can remember it, it will work. For remembering the lines on the treble clef, we normally use Elephants Got Big Dirty Feet. Even though this is not proper grammar, it helps to remind the students of the notes. The students will then go on and make their own sayings. Humor is the key to remembering things and it even helps me to remember things I need to know today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to use humor in the classroom. I really feel that it makes the kids more comfortable with me. The kids love to hear stories about my life and my dogs. I laughed when one student said to me so many interesting things happen at my house. With my age level of being 5 and 6 I find that the more I can do stuff with puppets, actions, and such the better the kids are able to remember the material. Kids love seeing their teacher laughing. It makes them see that you are a real person. By the way I love the funny box idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Humor in the classroom certainly engages students. I also find that humor of the deprecating kind is most effective. Students like that class can be funny and the instructor is willing to demonstrate or share more experiences than only those that come out of a text book or project sheet. Students want to be recognized on different levels and want to recognize the teacher on a different level. I find we are in a player-coach era. In other words, students want to see the coach or teacher also as a player, because they then believe that this person is more like them and more willing to listen and empaphize with them. Humor does that, it puts teachers on the field with the players and I believe it helps students find an emotional comfort zone such that they can listen, laugh and learn. I would like to find additional information regarding humor in the classroom and read some of the noted materials authored by David Sousa. I think the Funny Box idea is great and I can see where this would work. Keep laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very true. A former colleague of mine told me that every time I stepped foot inside of a classroom, “you are always on stage, so keep your kids guessing and they will always come back wanting more!” It would not be until my third year of teaching that I would take this advice and use it to my advantage. I am known as the teacher who might say or do anything. Humor plays a big role in being unpredictable. When you step inside of my classroom, I may pronounce a word wrong, I may tell a funny joke that I know (obviously it is not funny at all, but I make myself cry when I laugh), or I also try to attend as many fun student events as possible, i.e. teacher vs. student events. Kids love nothing more than to beat a teacher, especially when he parades down the hall “flexing.”
    I have found that these little things that you do in a classroom helps students be at ease either with their personality (shyness) or with some type of impediment that they may have. Also, kids enjoy a human teaching them. Meaning, if you keep your distance from the students, they will keep their distance from you, which builds an automatic wall from their education. Think about it. A military sergeant yells at a cadet. The cadet knows that his commanding officer is superior to him and dislikes him even though the sergeant is “hardening him up.” Is that what we want from our students?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started a "Mr. Fix's bad joke of the week" tally on the board. I often times would crack a joke during a lecture and some kid would say it has to go up there, others would chime in and say it wasn't that bad, kinda funny. The whole process just kind of lightened the mood in our classroom. Kids would say something silly and I'd suggest we put a tally up there for them to which they'd reply they are way funnier than me. I really feel that by teachers putting themselves out there and being a little goofy, kids appreciate us more. It helps to create an inviting classroom and one that everyone feels safe to voice their opinion.

    ReplyDelete